Thursday, July 9, 2009

"A chance that you might love me too . . . "

How I grew up without listening to Ray Charles bewilders me. Actually, knowing that I haven't gotten into his music until just recently makes me mad. That's how good it is. Rest in peace, Ray Charles.

I want to write about a song of his that I've really connected with. "You Don't Know Me" But before I get into that, I guess I should write about why this song means so much to me. Love - marriage, dating, courtship, and crushes - all of these things have been on my heart lately. I've been thinking and praying about the kind of relationship I hope to have with that young men - whoever he may be - you know, the one I'll end up marrying. (eep! Scary thought.) My parents divorced nearly 2 years ago, so marriage is very . . . intimidating to me and the thought of someday being divorced from my own husband, well, that's just a nightmare. These fears come from me worrying about the things that could go wrong in our relationship, and the thing of all things that I worry about the most is not knowing my husband. Here's where the song is poured into the mix:

_____

"You give your hand to me
And then you say hello
And I can hardly speak
My heart is beating so
And anyone can tell
You think you know me well
Well, you don't know me

No, you don't know the one
Who dreams of you at night
And longs to kiss your lips
And longs to hold you tight
Oh, I'm just a friend; that's all I've ever been
'Cause you don't know me

For I never knew the art of making love
Though my heart aches with love for you
Afraid and shy, I let my chance go by;
A chance that you might love me too

You give your hand to me
And then you say goodbye
I watch you walk away
Beside the lucky guy
Oh, you'll never know
The one who loved you so
Well, you don't know me."

_____

That's what I'm absolutely terrified of! I have this image in my head of me meeting this young man (if I don't know him already) and becoming close friends with him. Maybe this in unrealistic, but I want us to be friends for a long time - years, and just friends without feeling any pressure to go out on a "date" or anything, and during this friendship I want us to to know each other, just like Ray Charles sings in his song.

David Archuleta, one of my favorite musicians, also sums it up very well. "I think so many people want to rush things, they want to rush hanging out, they want to rush making out, and then it's like they don't even know the person they're with." Good point, David. Kudos to you.

By the way, on this day back in 1973, Ray Charles performed "Born To Lose", "Feel So Bad" and "Am I Blue" on ABC's The Dick Cavett Show. Interesting. (from http://bit.ly/3ZgCHu)

Blessings! :)

No comments: